To meet their business and financial goals, fast-moving businesses need to integrate more systems, people and things than ever before. More importantly, businesses also need to make those connections at unprecedented speed. In the face of these challenges, the iPaaS has emerged as a secure, reliable, and agile data and application integration solution.
An integration platform-as-service, or iPaaS, is a cloud-based approach to integration that can connect data, applications and processes faster than a traditional integration platform. An iPaaS is designed for the cloud, so it can easily handle the challenges of cloud-based (SaaS) applications, making it possible to connect to any database and any application—whether they function in a cloud environment, on premises, or in a combination of both environments.
See why Forrester named TIBCO’s Cloud™ Integration iPaaS in “The Forrester Wave™: Strategic iPaaS And Hybrid Integration Platforms, Q1 2019”:
Read our Whitepaper, on to learn the five common approaches to integration and the problems that each approach addresses:
Key Characteristics and Capabilities of iPaaS
An iPaaS typically has the following characteristics and capabilities:
- A multi-tenant cloud architecture, which is available as a cloud-based service
- High elasticity so you can scale your integration efforts up and down quickly
- A library of connectors that allow communications with cloud and on-premises applications
- Transport capabilities to move data between source and target applications
- Data mapping and transformation capabilities
- A user interface for integration flow development
- Consoles and other tools for monitoring and managing running solutions and integration flows
Primary Benefits of iPaaS
An iPaaS leverages the speed, agility and economics of cloud computing to help businesses achieve their digital transformation goals and generate several major business benefits:
- Accelerate integration projects by as much as 80%
- Reduce integration overhead by working with pre-built connectors that are already integrated with application-specific APIs
- Change/update integrations rapidly
- Provide IT and business users with easier access to data in cloud applications
- Expand your integration capacity by empowering business analysts and citizen integrators to help with integration projects
Speed Advantages Over ESB, SOA, ETL, and Other Integration Approaches
Traditional approaches to data integration—such as a service oriented architecture (SOA), an enterprise service bus (ESB) and extract, transform, and load tools (ETL)—weren’t designed for the cloud and often prove ineffective when integrating cloud applications or in cases where integration speed is a top priority.
These legacy techniques often cause bottlenecks with data exchanges between other enterprise applications. End users usually need customer, sales, marketing and order-status information immediately. In today’s cloud/mobile/social media environment, businesses add and remove applications frequently, but accessing the data in those systems using SOA, ESB and ETL can be cumbersome.
An iPaaS uses a number of security techniques to safeguard your enterprise data:
- Compiled agents – an iPaaS uses an agent structure to facilitate the transfer of information from one application to another. Those agents are compiled code which prevents hacking or code injection.
- HTTPS communication – Agents communicate with Scribe Online via HTTPS to receive instructions or to send job status information. The customer does not need to open additional ports on the firewall.
- Secure authentication – Our connectors use the secure authentication method provided by the application vendor, so connections made through the API are as secure as the connection by a user to that application through the vendor’s web client or other vendor provided interface.
- Encrypted communication – Data transferred between your business applications is encrypted. Generally, the iPaaS does not send, store, or cache your business data
Learn More about Scribe’s iPaaS
Read our white paper: What is iPaaS and Why Do I Need One Now?
Get more information on how the Scribe Online iPaaS can streamline data integrations and help you achieve your digital transformation goals by visiting https://www.scribesoft.com/products/scribe-online/.
Request a free trial of Scribe Online at https://www.scribesoft.com/products/trial-software/.